Tuesday, February 8, 2011

CrossFit? A Cult?

Since I started at CrossFit in November 2009, I have had many people tell me that I'm involved in a cult.  It happened again this past weekend.  Don't worry, you know who you are and I'm not mad at you.  HUGS!  I think it's interesting that people say that CF is a cult because of the following reasons:
1) You all hang out together
2) You all eat the same
3) You post pictures on Facebook of working out at CF
4) You go there all the time
5) You encourage your friends and family to work out there

My reply is always:
1) I love the people that I workout with.  We have a blast while in class, and while out of class.  Why wouldn't I want to hang out with people who are healthy and have the same interests as me? 
2) Our coaches promote healthy eating so we can lose weight, be healthy, and live long healthy lives.  What does the coach at your gym do???  Oh, that's right, you don't have one...
3) Are you jealous?  Are you mad that you don't look like the people who do CrossFit?  I sure as shit like to look at myself while lifting weights.  I'll like it even more after I lose some weight by the healthy eating tips I get from my coaches.
4) Exercising AND having fun??  Sounds like a freakin' blast to me!!!  What do you do?  Go to the gym and run on the treadmill??  Sounds awesome....NOT!  KILL ME!  Been there done that...haven't succeeded.  I've been at CF for 15 months and I'm still going 4-6 times a week. 
5) Of course I encourage my family and friends to go there!  Why wouldn't I want them to exercise, lose weight and be healthy. 


If CrossFit is a cult, and Bill and Jennie are David Koresh and his hot, pregnant wife, then I'm drinking what they're drinking.  They are the strongest couple I know, physically and mentally.  Living healthy and exercising.  Eating healthy.  Making friends.  Working out and having a dance party at the same time.  Wow...  Sounds pretty horrible and cult like. 

Instead of defending CrossFit from now on, I am going to challenge people to come in and take one class.  Just one class!  Tell me you hate the fact that you have people encouraging you and cheering you on through the hardest workout you've ever done in your whole life.  If you still feel that CrossFit is a cult, then you are the one that has problems.  Go @&$% yourself. 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Who cares if it's a cult, I love it!! Can't get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mixing an analogy to David Koresh and Jim Jones in the same sentence? Fucking awesome. Period.

    As to your #4, that's how I rolled the back squat bar onto my head back in the day. I was dropping into the squat and I was just mesmerized by the definition in my quads. I was flexing each one individually and the sheer force generated knocked me back into the wall and the rest is history. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahaha! A) I know I'm awesome. B) I wish wish wish that I was around to see that! If you could do that next time you're at the fort, that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Favor? Bring the nay-sayers and haters to a class and let me know when they're coming. I'd like to be there working out with them. Emphasis on "work"...

    I'll stop there...you get the point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling, are you ever going to come back and give your blog some MUCH NEEDED love? I miss your posts!!

    ReplyDelete