Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Best. Weekend. Ever.: The Mexican Fiesta and the Train Crawl!!!

I had a long, amazing weekend.  Friday started out with a great dinner with great friends.  To be successful eating Paleo, I've decided that I can't just eat plain steak, plain ground beef with a few salads and nuts thrown in.  I'm going to have to be a little bit creative.  I LOVE Mexican food, and was wondering what I could do to mimic a real, authentic Mexican meal.  Nothing says Mexican like chips and guac, tacos and Mexican rice.  So I made chips and guac, tacos and Mexican rice for seven people, and luckily, everyone loved it!! 


Thursday night I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and bought a food dehydrator.  I put zucchini, yellow squash and sweet potatoes in the food dehydrator overnight.  And what do you know, in the morning I had Paleo chips to dip in delicious guac!  We also had orange, red and green peppers to dip in the guac. 


For the taco shells, I bought organic butter lettuce and romaine hearts.  We cooked chicken and flank steak with Mexican spices.  The kicker was the Mexican rice... I sauteed red and orange peppers, Mexican spices, cilantro, onions and jalapenos for about 15 minutes.  Then I (here, when I say I, I mean Charlie) grated four heads of cauliflower into a bowl.  When the onions and peppers were soft, I added the cauliflower and let that set for another 10 minutes.  That was my faux Mexican rice!! 


Mexican food and several bottles of red wine rounded out an awesome night, but I was excited for Saturday!  I got up and went to two yoga classes, which I really needed because I was super stiff.  After three hours of yoga I went home and got ready for the train crawl!  30 CrossForters got together and tore up the town....well, several towns.  Since the Better Body Challenge is starting on February 7, I decided that it was ok to go out and have a few beers.  I haven't had a beer in a while, and I'm down eight pounds from January 1.  I want to go all out for the BBC, so I justified in my mind having some beers.  BOY was I glad I did!  It was a rowdie night of fun!  I'd tell stories, but I've written enough already. 


So I've lost 8 pounds, gotten back my energy, feel great exercising at the Fort, been sticking to my four days a week at the Fort and two yoga classes a week, eating great and feeling good.  Nothing but good things to come in the future! =)

2 comments:

  1. Alicia - Where are you getting all these amazing recipes? That all sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make some of them up! I made up the mexican rice! Other things I make come from Jennie. I'm her test dummy!

    ReplyDelete